The Lunasea Waves are Complete  

Friday, August 3, 2007

My Sockapalooza socks are complete, they have been washed with some nice Citrus Soak and are drying at this moment while I am preparing a little package of goodies to send with them. A nice little package will go in the mail tomorrow morning.

I am calling them "Lunasea Waves". I will explain why after my sock pal receives them. I would so give away who my sock pal is if I spill my guts now!

Here is a couple of close up shots of the pattern. I really enjoyed knitting these and plan to make me some socks using this pattern.


The other fine details are....

Yarn - Socks that Rock
Color - Lunasea
Pattern - A mix of several different techniques so the socks themselves are quite unique, I used a toe up Turkish Cast on, the Stanton 196 stitch out of the book More Sensational Socks a gusset heel about an inch of 2 x 2 ribbing and a fancy new bind off.
Needles - I used a US 1 for the foot and heel and then switched to a US 2 half-way up the gusset. Bind off - Found on
Grumperina goes to Yarn Shops and Home Depot.

I used this pattern because it gives a bit and because it looks wavy (you will find out why I picked the "waves" look for my sock pal, later.) I made a slightly longer heel flap and changed needle sizes to accommodate a wider foot with wider ankles. It seemed that my pal was concerned about wider and swollen ankles.

I tried several different bind offs that I have in my collection but none were good enough for these socks and I wasn't happy so I searched all my books and the Internet. I found a very nice bind off
here and was quite pleased with the results. With Grumperina's permission I am re posting the directions. this is the best bind off ever for a toe up sock and I will be using this one for all my toe up socks! Thank you Kathy.

Work 2 sts in pattern (either knit or purl). Move yarn to back (if the last worked st was a knit, this is already the case). * Transfer the 2 worked sts to the LH needle, and k2togTBL. Work 1 st in pattern (move yarn to back if it was a purl), * repeat between *.

Right now my fingers are crossed while I wait for them to dry in order to mail them and then I will wait to hear if they fit and if my pal likes them.

Just for fun you can check out other sockapalooza socks
here.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


5 comments: to “ The Lunasea Waves are Complete